Tuesday, March 20, 2012

VestFriend & Tactical Self Defense

Wow what a crazy week. I don't know where to start. I was able to get some hours in as a security guard with Maluco Security at the Model United Nations . This was a four days of work and it went till about 2 am or so.

I was very impressed Maluco, they were professional, organized, and filled with experts in there field. The staff were great.

The job was called "event" security as I am sort of on call. However it was a great way to earn some extra money. I also really liked it.

This week I had allot happen, I had two job interviews and it looks like I am going to be employed full time. I will update the employer information upon my start. I don't want to jinks it.

I am getting more involved in the security industry. I am considering taking the next step in first aid, so that I am just below an ambulance attendant, but above a standard first aid attendant to improve my earning potential.

As I do work near Vancouver's Downtown Eastside I have a concern of needles in some circumstances. So I picked up a set of gloves that will be cut and puncture resistant during a pat down. However what really made my day was the day I go this.









This is a vest made by Blair at VestFriend Body Armor. It's a local company British Columbia and dealing with Blair was awesome. The vest was made for my measurements so that will offer the proper amount of protection. It's made from shatter proof polycarbonite armor plating. It will stand up to stabbing, however if I get shot it won't do much. I live in Canada we are not as gun happy as other countries. The outer material is Nylon and Thinsulate it's light weight and feels like a girdle.

Blair makes all the vests by hand, after working security and working a few late night shifts he saw a need for the vests. He is still closely involved in the security industry and wants to provide the best protection for others in the industry as well. You can contact Blair here

The vest allows me a bit more confidence in today's crazy unpredictable world. Although Mandy also wants me to where a helmet ;')

I have also been increasing my self defense, or I guess my tactical skills. I am not a big a guy and I am not a fan of fighting. While I have a huge respect for the athletic skills of fighters and I do have an addiction to Mixed Marshal Arts, these skills are not practical in hand to hand combat in real life.

So I have been researching some realistic forms of defense to keep myself and my asset safe. This is not about being tough, or taking a punch, this is about tactically positioning yourself to most successful position for any given situation. Weather it's removing someone who needs to be ejected, or your keeping someone from hurting themselves or others.

I am in a position where I can't beet them up. I am responsible for there well being and I have to use "reasonable" force. I need to be able to explain to a judge that I used the appropriate amount of force to minimize the threat while maintaining mine, and there safety.

So I got in touch with Norm at Tactical Self Defense. Norm rocks, and he seriously kicked my ass! The great thing about Norm's training is you are actually putting yourself in real life situations. This is important not only to know what to do, but to also help the brain process the situation so you don't "freeze" when it happens.

If you are in a security position, or even if your not, there will come a time when you will need to defend yourself. Again this is not about being the toughest guy on the block. This is about surviving a situation so you can safely eject yourself and avoid damage.

I will be taking some video and pics of Norm's training for me and you can contact him on his website as well. He is a fantastic teacher and a really great guy.

I am also coming down with a cold. This year has been intense for sickness for me. I should be in the gym or going for a run, however instead I am going to curl up in a ball and moan.

No comments:

Post a Comment